Sunday, November 24, 2013

Burt

I am very glad that Burt took the time out of his day to come and speak to us and allow us to learn about a very rough time in his life. When people think of homeless people they feel like they are less than a person and they are quick to turn their heads or run from them. Sadly, I was one of those people until my senior year in high school. We read a book titled 'Same Kind of Different As Me.' That book changed my whole outlook on homelessness. It was about a homeless black man and a rich white man that were united and they became really good friends. It was based in Fort Worth, Texas at the Union Gospel Mission. When we finished the book, I was in tears. It was a great book and it changed my whole outlook. Our class ended up going to the Union Gospel Mission to volunteer and the writers were there. It was an amazing experience. So when Burt came to speak it brought me back to reading that book and volunteering. It is sad that he has to pick from a place to sleep and necessities for the month. People always look down on homeless people because they do not realize with this economy they could be in the same place as Burt, or even worse. We should help one another in the country. The less people we help, the less we are United. They want to plaster 'United we stand' everywhere but "divided we fall." We are divided. I do like that he helps other homeless people and that he has dreams to pursue down the road with counseling and such. I just hope he gets where he wants because no one deserves to be hungry and homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment