Friday, November 8, 2013

Boy suspended for purse

Website: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/boy-suspended-wearing-purse-vera-bradley_n_4235249.html?utm_hp_ref=education&ir=Education Level: State Concerning: Whether a school was suspending a kid for wearing a purse or for cursing. I remember being in middle school and wearing some interesting outfits that got me in trouble. I think it is important at this time in a child’s life to be able to express themselves and their style. It seems like this is more of a homophobic issue rather then a “disturbance”. I don’t understand how high heels or a purse could really create that much of a distraction. It could help other children learn to accept others and how they choose to dress. If this child really was suspended for cursing then why would he bring up anything about the purse? I think that this got so much publicity that the school wanted to cover their tracks. I am glad that our society is becoming more accepting of things like this but saddened that people are still living with such close-mindedness. Hopefully as people evolve we will not have issues like this and kids will not feel scared to express themselves. I also hope that a boy wearing a purse or heels does not cause a distraction for others in the future. One day I believe we will have a lot less hate and more acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment