Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Reflection on Burt

When I found out that Burt was going to come and talk to us, I wasn't sure what to expect necessarily...but I was definitely excited. I think there is a lot of mystery to what the lives of the homeless community is like and it was interesting to get an opinion and story from someone who is living it. Listening to Burt's story made me realize that it's easier to become homeless than I thought. Tragedy could strike at any moment and put you and even your family in a difficult position, maybe leave you homeless. The health care system and the lack of affordable housing is definitely an issue that has directly impacted Burt and is just one of the many areas of our government that lacks attention.
Burt's story is similar to many other stories in the homeless community and is an issue that could be avoided, especially because it could impact several Americans who lack health insurance (including me). There is a stigma attached to the people of the homeless community and most people just see them in the street and are even somewhat immune to looking at the homeless in even the worst situations. Burt mentioned this sense of distrust and even fear between the homeless and not homeless, which many people, including myself are guilty of. We are sometimes so caught up in our own lives that we overlook the daily struggles people in our own community have to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment